Friday, June 6, 2014

Cardboard Dresser

The following photos will show my progression from the cardboard boxes I moved with to a stylish new dresser for my new home.
I started with sturdy boxes from the meat department. I only used clean ones. No sense in having a smelly dresser. Then I reinforced the boxes with cardboard chunks. Most of the drawers are three layers thick. I also cut small pieces to fill any hand holes. Laying the cardboard so the inside flutes run at various angles helps to make it stronger. Once the drawers were made I lined them with wall paper and created dividers specifically for my needs. Next I made a reinforced divider/slider by determining the size of the largest drawer and adding one inch each way.


I cut two flat pieces of cardboard this size. If you need to piece them just use another cardboard strip on the inside and butt joint the bits to make them big enough. Next cut lots of strips of cardboard. I used one inch but half inch would probably work as well. You want really sharp blades (you will use a lot of them) and a good straight edge. My 22" quilt ruler was perfect for most of the job. A good metal yardstick is handy as well.
Update [4-29-2016] I eventually made a smaller dresser to match and invested $30 or so into an electric rotary cutter for cardboard. Makes it sooo much easier!
Once you have several strips cut lay one of your big pieces down and fold one of your strips so that it makes mountains and valleys. I folded mine about every 3" or so. Hot glue your strips throughout the flat piece. You will want a continuous strip around the outside edge. Once you have as many honeycomb pieces as you need to make the piece sturdy glue the other big piece on top. This part was tricky for me. I eventually just put white glue on most of the inside pieces and hot glued a few joints so I could get the top on faster before the hot glue dried. I went around the outside edges carefully to be sure everything was secure.


Finally I used reinforced paper shipping tape and taped all of my seems. The back and sides are made the same way, only on a larger scale. Glue the sides to the back and set the bottom slider in place and glue it in. At this point I used a couple of long decking screws as well. Set the bottom drawer on the bottom slider and use one or two thicknesses of cardboard as a spacer. Set the next slider in place and glue and screw into position. Continue until all are placed and will slide as you want. I added a piece that is two inches tall to the bottom at this point. It should fit the measurement of the case. This provides a "toe kick" under the bottom drawer. Next I measured from the bottom of the bottom drawer to the center of the next slider and from each edge of the case. Make a drawer front using the same technique as for the sliders. Your want the drawer front to cover from outside edges and almost meet the next drawer front in line. My drawers were all a bit different so I measured each as I went. Finally add a top. You will want it flush with the back or no more than 3/4" hangover. In the front you will want more of a ledge. Maybe up to a couple of inches. Glue and screw all of these in place, preferably from the inside as much as possible. Make sure you torque the screws so they slightly recess. That way they won't catch your moving drawer or clothes.You will also want to be sure they are not poking through to a drawer area.




Cover any screws with paper tape. Finish as you like. Paint or stain work well. It is cardboard after all. Just be cautious not to get it overly saturated but a little liquid won't hurt. Seal your final finish with three coats of a poly acrylic. It comes in satin, gloss and matte. Add hardware ( I needed longer screws for mine [2"]) and enjoy. You will go through a few large packages of hot glue and a bottle or two of white glue. That's about it other than your time. This one took me a couple of months working in the evenings and on the weekends.

4 comments:

Robbie said...

I would like step by step directions , if you could . Great job

Robbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nona said...

yes, too bad you did not give a visual of at least the steps like a drawer, a side of the carcass, and the slider/dividers. I understand what your saying from many other cardboard crafters. but you really only showed completed drawers and carcass before finishing and after.
but thanks all the same you did not have to share a cheap alternative to a dresser with us.
unless I am missing something since you said you did give it.
bravo, hope it's working great for your needs.